2004 Apr 02 10:17

Re: [vox-tech] serendipity with vim

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

[snip]
> really great for programming.  one of the uses is when i'm editing a
> function and need to see another function that's way down in the source
> file.  i can bring them "close together" by folding.
[snip]

I use screen splitting for that instead of folding.  It's more intuitive,
I think:

   :split - splits the screen in half
   Ctrl-w k - move to the window above (you can use <up> instead of k)
   Ctrl-w j - move to the window below (you can use <down> instead of j)
   Ctrl-w 10 + - enlarge the current window by 10 lines (or use mouse)
   Ctrl-w 10 - - shrink the current window by 10 lines (or use mouse)

You can also split the window vertically via ":vsplit" and move between
them with `Ctrl-w h` and `Ctrl-w l`.  Each window is a separate window in
its own right, so you can open different file in each window, close it
via `:q`, etc. and you can split window as many times as you want, so it's
useful for comparing several different files, too.  There are some minor
querks you might notice, but nothing that bothers me too much.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius