2004 Apr 02 08:18

Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw

On Thu 01 Apr 04,  8:13 AM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:

> One cool thing is that you can now just specify the device file for
> the cd drive, instead of having to scanbus and choose something like
> 0,5,0.
>
> Consider the following lines from my ~/bin/backup as an example:
>

> mkisofs -r -J -l -o ${TMPDIR}/backup.iso -C \
>    `cdrecord -msinfo dev=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0` \
>    -M /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 $BACKUP_FILE $BACKUP_ETC
>
> cdrecord -v -multi speed=8 dev=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 -data ${TMPDIR}/backup.iso
>
> (Once again, udev with the devfs naming scheme should explain the
> device file names, you can just use /dev/hdc - assuming that's where
> your device file is)

ken, that's pretty cool.

i didn't know that udev was ready for prime time.  i think i'll still
wait a bit before playing around with it.  i spent way too much time
with devfs only to learn a year later that it was being deprecated...

ken, why do you use -J and -l together?  isn't joliet capable of
handling longer filenames than 31 characters?

thanks,
pete