2004 Apr 02 04:38

[vox-tech] serendipity with vim

someone gave me an URL on my website that contained a broken link.

i had just woken up a minute ago (it's not even 6:30am) and while i was
half asleep, mistook the URL for a pathname on my filesystem.  in other
words, i typed "vim http://url.to.broken/link";.

the next thing i saw made me wince.  the screen flashed with something
foreign.  it looked like wget.  i quickly typed control-c.

i sat looking at the screen and then realized, "holy cow, that's
actually pretty cool".

it turns out that vim knows what an URL is, and will download the file
pointed to by that URL.  another vim coolity.

pete