2004 Apr 01 16:12

Re: cd/dvd burning remotely (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw)

Re: cd/dvd burning remotely (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw)

Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:10:41PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:

You wouldn't be restricted in speed because he's not going to store the ISO on the network - he's going to construct the ISO on the computer with the cd burner.

Well, I imagine I would /construct/ the ISO locally, and then say
"take this ISO and go burn it on the computer next to me."

Of course, that would mean sending large chunks (if not 100%) of the
ISO over to the remote computer before actually starting the burn.

But it'd be nice to have a drag-n-drop GUI for that. :^)

Does K3B allow creation of ISOs with drag-n-drop?
(e.g., I can use Fish to view remote files over plain SSH;
I can use other KIO plugins to view the insides of ZIP and TAR files
as if they were regular files, etc.)

I guess mounting ISOFS would be good enough for that, though...

Maybe what you want is lufs (which I mentioned in passing earlier in this thread). Read about it here: http://lufs.sourceforge.net/lufs/intro.html.

Lufs allows the mounting of folders on an external computer via ssh. Thus, just about any local program can see an external file tree transparently. I really like the concept and use it often, but I have encountered a couple bugs; e.g. emacs doesn't like it.

With regarding to cd burning, you could "mount" a folder residing on your "local computer" on the "computer next to you". Then K3B, which executes on the computer next to you, could see that folder.

Jonathan