2004 Apr 01 16:57

Re: cd/dvd burning remotely (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw)

Re: cd/dvd burning remotely (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw)

Ken Bloom wrote:
On 2004.04.01 14:20, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

The only way I can figure is to run the burning program(s) via remote shell. If you want to use a gui, e.g. k3b, it will need to be installed on the remote computer, but it can then be run locally via X over ssh. Of course, you need relatively high bandwidth to run X over ssh in "realtime".

Also, it would be best to move the file(s) you want to burn over to the remote computer first. You /might/ be able to keep the files local if you setup NFS or lufs, but you would be restricted to burn speeds as slow as your network speed!

You wouldn't be restricted in speed because he's not going to store the ISO on the network - he's going to construct the ISO on the computer with the cd burner.

I was thinking of on-the-fly burning because that's what I always do. But yes, if you want to make an iso first, you can make the iso on the cd-burner computer but grab the files across a network.