2004 Apr 02 03:28

Re: [vox-tech] X11 Cursor Themes

There's a debian package that modifies the default X11 cursor.  It annoyed
the heck out of me so it took me a while to figure out how to disable it.
It turns out it renames the default cursor files (some image files...
xpm, I think).  So it looks like you can make your own X11 cursors by
creating some image files and replacing the default image files.  Sorry,
don't remember what the cursor image files are named...

-Mark

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Anyone here have luck with X11 Cursor Themes?  I discovered the concept over
> at www.kde-look.org last night, and started fooling with them.
> However, I had no luck.
>
> I discovered it's an X-Window feature available in XFree86 4.3.0 and above,
> so I upgraded (found an apt-source with a Woody backport, and upgraded
> seamlessly!)
>
> However, no workie. :^(  I've got a Voodoo 3 2000 card, and no references
> to either SWCursor or HWCursor in the XF86Config-4 file.  I tried 'installing'
> the cursors into my account in the following ways:
>
>   ~/.icons/default/index.theme   (contains "[Icon Theme]" and "Inherits=Blue")
>   ~/.icons/Blue/cursors/         (contains all of the cursor files...)
>
> As well as doing that and sticking a ref. to the cursor in my ~/.Xdefaults
> file.
>
> I'm using KDE 3.2.0, if that matters (sounds like it doesn't, from what
> I heard on #kde).  And, of course, I restarted X... many times. :)
>
> -bill!
> bill@newbreedsoftware.com              Have you visited the Linux Users' Group
> http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/        of Davis yet!?  http://www.lugod.org/

Mark K. Kim