2004 Apr 02 08:18

Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw

I'm sure Ken answered all your questions to your satisfaction, but for the GUI users out there, K3B (http://www.k3b.org/) is the best Linux cd/dvd burning frontend I have used yet. It automatically recognizes and uses ide burners with not trouble at all. And for the first time, I have successfully burned dvds in Linux!

Jonathan

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
hi all,

i bought a memorex EIDE cdrw / dvdrw.  the box didn't say ATAPI, neither
did the manual, but looking at dmesg, this drive registered with the
kerel as ATAPI.

i've never played around with IDE-SCSI CD writers before.  all my
experience is with pure good ol' SCSI.

looking through the kernel config, i found a driver called ide-cd which
looks like what i want (can someone confirm this?).

i made the ide-cd module and insmoded it.

according to the cdrecord man page, i need to specify the SCSI device
name with the transport layer.  the SCSI transport layer is default, so
instead of what i'm used to:

   cdrecord -audio -v dev=0,5,0 *.wav

i now need to specify a transport layer:

   cdrecord -audio -v dev=ATAPI:0,5,0 *.wav

this means i need to get a SCSI device number for my new ATAPI drive.  i
did:

   cdrecord -scanbus

and saw all my SCSI devices, but not the ATAPI CDRW / DVDRW.

any suggestions?

for those of you with ATAPI CDRW's or DVDRW's: can you please run
"cdrecord -scanbus" and tell me if you see your device in the output?

thanks!
pete