2004 Apr 02 08:02

Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 05:20:22AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i bought a memorex EIDE cdrw / dvdrw.  the box didn't say ATAPI, neither
> did the manual, but looking at dmesg, this drive registered with the
> kerel as ATAPI.
>
> i've never played around with IDE-SCSI CD writers before.  all my
> experience is with pure good ol' SCSI.
>
> looking through the kernel config, i found a driver called ide-cd which
> looks like what i want (can someone confirm this?).
>
> i made the ide-cd module and insmoded it.
>
> according to the cdrecord man page, i need to specify the SCSI device
> name with the transport layer.  the SCSI transport layer is default, so
> instead of what i'm used to:
>
>    cdrecord -audio -v dev=0,5,0 *.wav
>
> i now need to specify a transport layer:
>
>    cdrecord -audio -v dev=ATAPI:0,5,0 *.wav
>

> this means i need to get a SCSI device number for my new ATAPI drive.  i
> did:
>
>    cdrecord -scanbus
>
> and saw all my SCSI devices, but not the ATAPI CDRW / DVDRW.
>

> any suggestions?
>
> for those of you with ATAPI CDRW's or DVDRW's: can you please run
> "cdrecord -scanbus" and tell me if you see your device in the output?
>
> thanks!
> pete

[bloom@kabloom ~]% cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI:
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a26 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 JöSchilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

scsidev: 'ATAPI:'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -1 target: -1 lun: -1
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.
Warning: There may be fatal problems.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'LG      ' 'CD-RW CED-8080B ' '1.07' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
[bloom@kabloom ~]% cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a26 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 JöSchilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
cdrecord:
cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .

(I've been playing around with udev, which should explain the lack of
/dev/pg*)

One cool thing is that you can now just specify the device file for
the cd drive, instead of having to scanbus and choose something like
0,5,0.

Consider the following lines from my ~/bin/backup as an example:

mkisofs -r -J -l -o ${TMPDIR}/backup.iso -C \
   `cdrecord -msinfo dev=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0` \
   -M /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 $BACKUP_FILE $BACKUP_ETC

cdrecord -v -multi speed=8 dev=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 -data ${TMPDIR}/backup.iso

(Once again, udev with the devfs naming scheme should explain the
device file names, you can just use /dev/hdc - assuming that's where
your device file is)