2004 Mar 22 08:21

Re: [vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Re: [vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Quoting Ted Deppner (ted@psyber.com):

> Interesting.  http://www.bodeen.org/networking/100baset4.html says
> 100BaseT4 was "practically extinct by 1998".

And so it is.  People pretty much always use Cat5e and 100Base-TX (two
pair).  Cat6 is nice if you want future support for 1000Base-TX (two
pair) when that standard is completed.  Last I heard, currently deployed
gigabit on copper was still 1000Base-T, for which Cat5e sufficess.

(The above reflects what I've most recently heard, but it generally pays
to be conservative about cabling specs.)

rick@linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.