January 6: Social gathering
2004 Mar 19 20:02

[vox-tech] Gentoo - Backup Sys Config Files & Grub vs LILO

[vox-tech] Gentoo - Backup Sys Config Files & Grub vs LILO

I've decided that I've recuperated after my last Gentoo burnout and
so I'm jumping right back on the Gentoo horse again. I've downloaded the
new 2004.0 lived CD release and I'm going to rebuild the system from scratch.

Before I do, I would appreciate some advice from the Linux gurus in the group,
especially the Gentoo users.

1) What key system config files should I backup to diskette on my current
system, so I have these files for reference on the new 2004.0 build? Or more
generically, what system config files is it a good practice to backup.

2) On my current Gentoo system I chose Grub as the boot loader, was that a
reasonable choice? Is there any reason to prefer LILO over Grub?

Thank you, Ed Elliott