2004 Mar 18 16:04

Re: [vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Re: [vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

At an old apartment of mine, there were identical plugs that you could either plug a phone or a computer into. The only way to know which to use was the color of the jack. I have a splitter on my desk like the one I mentioned in another email. It quite comfortably fits either a phone plug or an RJ45 plug. I just tried. No mashing. In fact, I looked closely at how they went in and it was clearly designed to do just that. It fits in quite cleanly and the 6 pins meet the center 6 pins of the rj45 plug.

IIRC, Cat3 (i.e. 10baseT) was designed with phone compatibility in mind.. and leaves the center pair unvired, so that it's compatible with the older rj11 plugs in a very direct way. You can plug an old rj11 plug into a rj45 jack, and I think that the original conception was that every jack would carry both phone and ehternet, and you could plug either computer or phone in as needed.

Voice'll run on just about anything, though Cat3 is the typical
"minimum" accepted by everyone.

And no, you can't just plug an rj11 into an rj48 port. Sure you can
mash it in, but a 6 pin wide rj11 will mash pins 7 and 8 of the rj48,
and it won't fit too well either (it'll come loose and not make good
contact). Don't do it. Bad. Use (or make) an adapter plug.

I'd humbly suggest it's best to keep uninformed opinions to yourself, as
you didn't add anything to this thread other than misinformation.