2004 Mar 18 16:03

Re: [vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Re: [vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

I could be wrong, but I believe that Cat5 uses all 4 *pairs* of wires, and not just 4 wires. Maybe that's only for full duplex....

IIRC, Cat3 (i.e. 10baseT) was designed with phone compatibility in mind.. and leaves the center pair unvired, so that it's compatible with the older rj11 plugs in a very direct way. You can plug an old rj11 plug into a rj45 jack, and I think that the original conception was that every jack would carry both phone and ehternet, and you could plug either computer or phone in as needed.

-- Mitch