2004 Mar 16 10:13

Re: [vox-tech] AC97 Sound Card

Ken Bloom wrote:
On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 12:59:03PM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:

Crappy sound system... someone needs to make /dev/dsp into a virtual
device that lets multiple apps open it directly and mix sound internally.

-Mark

ALSA can do this - or at least something like this. Your card supports
hardware mixing, it will use that, if not then you can use the dmix
plugin, by configuring /etc/asound.conf like this:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm dmixer
}
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024 # This must be a unique IPC key (see ipcs output)
ipc_key_add_uid true # UID will be added to IPC key
slave {
pcm "hw:0"
period_time 0
period_size 1024 # Must be power of 2 for alsa-oss
buffer_size 8192 # ditto
rate 44100
}
}

pcm.dsp0 pcm.default
ctl.mixer0 "hw:0"
I cannot get dmix to work. Is this really all that's necessary? I'll repeat Mark, "Crappy sound system..."

Jonathan