2004 Mar 15 13:29

Re: [vox-tech] mysql: printing all users and databases

Re: [vox-tech] mysql: printing all users and databases

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

thanks tim,

i'll give it a try.  i have to say, i'm a little disheartened with
mysql.  i just want it to "work" and be secure.

from reading the docs, it _appears_ (although it doesn't say explicitly)
that not only does each username have a password, each user has a
password for each hostname.  so 'root'@'localhost' may have a different
password than 'root'@'someotherhost'.  that's just too bizarre for my
mind

This is true, and admittedly a little strange. It does offer a choice that wouldn't be available otherwise. What if user@localhost and user@someother host ARE different users, or for somebody's idea of security practices should have different passwords. I'd keep them in sync, but you never know...

it also looks like a database name of "mysql" may refer to the
collection of all databases, but i haven't verified that yet.

plus having anonymous users... really, anonymous.  as in, so anonymous
that they don't even have a username, is a really strange concept.  even
anonymous ftp users have a username of "anonymous".

I don't get what you mean. I have two mysql users: root@localhost and db@localhost. Root can do everything, and db can select, insert, update. Nobody else can login without the username and the password. The annoymous users that come installed by default can be easily removed, and they only have access to databased named 'test_*' anyway.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Default_privileges.html

i wanted to set up a slashcode system, but i may just put that off till
i have more time to sit down and read mysql docs.  the more i learn
about mysql, the more i'm starting to realize there's no possible
quickstart...   :(

The quickstart is there for sure. Quickstart with good security and you 'knowing what's going on under the hood'? Maybe not, but it really is a simple and elegent database system!

i'll give it a few more hours before i put it off as a "major
undertaking" to be attempted when i have less on my plate than i do
now.

i'll try your suggestions.  thanks!

pete

Good luck,