2004 Mar 08 12:25

Re: [vox-tech] Old PC

Quoting John Marcotte (john@biznerds.com):

> I have an old Dell Optiplex GS+ in my office. I thought It might make a
> dandy little Linux box, but it's pretty darn slow by today's standards.
>
> At a cool 200MHz at a whopping 32MB of RAM, I think a current distro
> would run poorly (if at all) on the box.

Your amount of RAM is marginal, but you could get by with lightweight
window managers, no GNOME/KDE cruft, and lightweight X11 applications.
But see about getting another stick of RAM.  If nowhere else:
http://www.satech.com/

And I might point out:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/memx/optiplexgs1.html

My little 1998 Sony VAIO is still a perfectly satisfactory Linux desktop
box (running Window Maker, as provided by Debian 3.0 "sarge").  It has a
Pentium MMX/233 -- no problem at all, because I long ago upgraded it to
have 128 MB system RAM.

> So my question is: What version of Linux should I put on this little
> guy? I'd like to use it as an internet terminal and word processor.

Slackware, Debian, Arch, Gentoo, etc.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!