2004 Mar 08 00:18

Re: [vox-tech] Old PC

On 2004.02.26 12:06, John Marcotte wrote:
I have an old Dell Optiplex GS+ in my office. I thought It might make a
dandy little Linux box, but it's pretty darn slow by today's standards.

At a cool 200MHz at a whopping 32MB of RAM, I think a current distro
would run poorly (if at all) on the box.

So my question is: What version of Linux should I put on this little
guy? I'd like to use it as an internet terminal and word processor.

John Marcotte
 <http://www.biznerds.com/>

Not sure how well X programs in general will work on the box (especially a full featured web browser), but I recently put together a box with a similar configuration in 64MB of RAM using Debian unstable, AbiWord (OpenOffice was too big), and a choice of Galeon or Dillo as a web browser.
The only real problem was that on the monitor they had, there would be redraw problems with Galeon (although I never noticed any redraw problems when setting it up using my own monitor.)