2004 Mar 04 15:25

Re: [vox-tech] latex sty

Thanks Pete and Micah for responding:

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Tue 02 Mar 04,  6:44 PM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@sbcglobal.net> said:

I'm submitting a latex document to a journal, and I'm not supposed to include any files other than my latex file and my eps figures.

have you written to them and said something like:

   "is it OK to also send in a .sty file to conform to your bibliography
   format?  and if i can't, please tell me how to conform to your format"

before giving up on that, you should definitely ask...

Well, like many nerdy engineers, I tend to use real human interaction as a last resort :-) But I did do so now and am waiting for a response.

<snip>
Is there any way to include that information in my latex file? I tried just pasting it in at the top of my document, but I get errors. Clearly, there is syntax for sty files that is not permitted in latex.

it's possible, but not that i know of.  my own pete_macros.sty is just a
bunch of macros i've written and placed in $TEXINPUTS so \usepackage can
find it.

are you sure you pasted it after \documentclass but before
\begin{document}?
Most definitely, but my problem was with any \@[latex_command]. By Micah's suggestion to look around on comp.text.tex, I found my answer almost immediately in a tex-faq. You have to wrap sections that contain these commands with \makeatletter and \makeatother. For example:

\makeatletter
[pasted in from foo.sty]
\makeatother

This is actually discussed in the "Latex Companion" on pages 15-16, but I didn't realize it until now. So my problem is solved!

Jonathan