2004 Mar 03 15:57

Re: [vox-tech] latex: setting rigid margin on equations

Re: [vox-tech] latex: setting rigid margin on equations

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
hi all,

                    in normal displaymath, latex

                              centers

                          its equations.

                              however,

    i think it's a cleaner look when all my equations are flush
    against some right margin, perhaps at a margin of about 4
    or 5 em's.

is there a way to do this?  i need for my solution to be non-invasive.
if my dissertation committee doesn't like my flush look, i need to be
able to switch back to the centered style.

Pete

I was curious about this problem and used it to learn how to program latex environments. How is this for a start?

\renewenvironment{equation}
{\addtocounter{equation}{1} \begin{flushright}%
\begin{tabular}{rrp{2em}} $\displaystyle}
{$ & \hspace{0.1\textwidth} & (\theequation)%
\end{tabular} \end{flushright}}

\renewenvironment{displaymath}
{\begin{flushright} \begin{tabular}{rrp{2em}} $\displaystyle}
{$ & \hspace{0.1\textwidth} & \end{tabular} \end{flushright}}

It seems to work, except for one small problem. I can't get the equation number to flush right in a column of specified width. I'd love to figure this out, but I gotta get back to working on my own paper...

Jonathan