2004 Mar 03 13:43

Re: [vox-tech] problems interacting with windows share

Re: [vox-tech] problems interacting with windows share

I'm not sure, but you don't wanna put password on the commandline anyway.
If you did, some other user on the system could run `ps -aefxww` and grab
your username and password.  Then again, it's probably just your own
system with no other user so what do I care... just saying, in principle,
as a reminder to everyone not to get used to typing password on the
commandline.

-Mark

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> I'm able to read and write to my department's windows (2000, I think)
> shared folders by first mounting like this:
>
> $smbmount //server/share ~/mnt/share/ -o workgroup=WGRP username=user_name
>
> After entering my password when prompted, I can read and write to the
> share through the mountpoint.  Have you tried this?
>
> I have my own question:  when I try to include my windows password in
> the command line above (e.g. password=pass_word), I still get prompted
> for it.  Why is this?
>
> Jonathan
>

> dylan wrote:
> > Hi--
> >
> > I setup a user, sharepoint, and permissions today on a windows 2K server. I
> > am able to connect to the machine, and interact with the directory structure
> > in some ways. (i.e. i can manually navigate to my directory). However, when
> > i try to upload a file into my folder like this:
> >
> > dylan@mvs:~$ smbclient //server_name/share_name$ -U user_name%password -D
> > base_folder -c "put temp.txt"
> >
> > Domain=[UR] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
> > NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED opening remote file \mvs_backup\temp.txt
> >
> > ...it seems like there is some kind of permission error... Does anyone know
> > what might be causing this? as far as i know, i have the appropriate
> > permissions to read and write into this folder.
> >
> > thanks in advance!
> >
> > Dylan

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius