2004 Mar 03 11:47

Re: [vox-tech] cron - not at a different time

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Ken Herron wrote:

> --On Wednesday, March 03, 2004 10:11:10 -0800 Peter Jay Salzman

> >> /etc/cron.daily
> >>
> >> That line will only launch "run-parts" if /usr/sbin/anacron doesn't
> >> exist. Does /usr/sbin/anacron exist?
> >
> > ken,
> >
> > yeah, it does exist.   daily definitely runs.  it just runs at a time i
> > wasn't expecting.
>
> My point was that if /usr/sbin/anacron exists, then the crontab line
> above will not run cron.daily. You say that /usr/sbin/anacron exists, so
> cron.daily is not being launched as a result of the above crontab line.
> That means something else is running it. Something like anacron, for
> example.

This list is great.  This explains a longstanding puzzle (to me) of how
(and to some extent why) both cron and anacron are installed on my debian
box.

Now that I see how it works, I am not too impressed with this kludge,
though... this is a deceptively obtuse configuration duplication between
these two packages.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing