January 6: Social gathering
2004 Mar 03 13:43

Re: [vox-tech] cron - not at a different time

On 2004.03.03 10:13, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Wed 03 Mar 04, 10:07 AM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:

> >ps- is there a new virus?  all of a sudden, starting from last night
> >i've gotten a huge ton of emails that say things like:
> >
> >   Arggghh, I hate plaintext!
> >
> >   Here is your excel file.
> >
> >   I don't bite, weah!
> >
> >   Your file is attached.
> >
> >i normally don't see viruses because i filter based on executable
> >strings in every win32 executable.  but these viruses seem to be
> >carrying .zip and .pif payloads which are getting past my filter.
> >
> >also, i just got a bounced email, with MY email address on it.  it
said:

> >   I know about you!
> >
> >and it was addressed to qmail@hollings.senate.gov, a US senator's
> >office.  holy cow.  i sure hope the secret service doesn't come after
> >me!   ;-)
> >
> >pete
> >

> ClamAV is filtering that virus out for me. I installed ClamAV yesterday

> morning to handle that problem - apparently the school's virus checker
> hasn't updated to recognize that virus yet. I also got one from vox
(which
> I trust so I don't usually subject it to spam and virus filtering).
Perhaps
> we need a virus scanner on the lists even for subscribed members.

ken,

from vox?  or do you mean forged to look like it came from vox?  i don't
recall seeing one from the list...

i know how to filter based on attachment content (since the content is
just part of the body).  i need to google for how you filter based on
attachment name.  i don't recall there being any headers declaring the
name of attachments...

pete
It was forged to look like it came from lugod@livepenguin.com, and it wound up in my lugod folder (which matches the following condition in maildrop):

if (/^Reply-To: *vox.*lugod/:h || \
/^Subject: .*\[vox/:h )
{
to $MAILBOX/lugod
}

therefore, I conclude it was actually sent *to* the list.

Moreover, it's in the vox archive at: