2004 Mar 03 10:08

Re: [vox-tech] cron - not at a different time

On Wed 03 Mar 04,  9:32 AM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:

> On 2004.03.03 09:18, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> >/usr/share/checksecurity/check-setuid
> >-xdev

> >> What time did you start up the machine? The cron jobs will run through
> >> anacron shortly after startup if they haven't been run in a certain
> >time
> >
> >> period. Seeing as how my computer is always shutdown at 4:25am, my
> >daily
> >
> >> cronjobs always run shortly after I start up. If I started up the
> >machine
> >> at 7:25, they'd run at about 7:30.
> >
> >ken, that's a good guess.  unfortunately, this machine has been up ever
> >since i replaced the CPU fans (one of which died, and the other one
> >sounded like a wailing ghost).  that was about 12 days ago...
>
> I know you recently moved from Davis to the east coast. Did you remember to
> change the timezone on the machine when you moved?

heh.  ken, that was an excellent idea, but unfortunately, i did.   :-)

pete

ps- is there a new virus?  all of a sudden, starting from last night
i've gotten a huge ton of emails that say things like:

   Arggghh, I hate plaintext!

   Here is your excel file.

   I don't bite, weah!

   Your file is attached.

i normally don't see viruses because i filter based on executable
strings in every win32 executable.  but these viruses seem to be
carrying .zip and .pif payloads which are getting past my filter.

also, i just got a bounced email, with MY email address on it.  it said:

   I know about you!

and it was addressed to qmail@hollings.senate.gov, a US senator's
office.  holy cow.  i sure hope the secret service doesn't come after
me!   ;-)

pete