2004 Mar 02 15:14

Re: [vox-tech] UPS and auto battery

As I understand it, UPS batteries are more similar to marine/RV deep cycle batteries than they are to regular car batteries. A big RV battery could run a computer for an hour or two, depending on the monitor. If you swap it out directly for the one in there now, it will probably take a REALLY long time to charge after a complete discharge, but from what I know about charging batteries, it would likely work. The cost is probably more than I'd pay to try out something like that, but I'd be interested in hearing what you end up doing, as I've come across dead UPSs in the past and never did anything with them.

BTW, the "sealed" part of that is definately important if you'll be using it inside.

Adding extra cooling would probably be smart, too. Little 12v fans are easy to add on to almost anything. I had to do it to a cheap inverter I had. It kept overheating and switching off. It took a couple hours of cutting and soldering, but worked like a charm.

Rod Roark wrote:

I have had an APC Back-UPS 500 for a few years and it looks
like the battery is finally dead. It's a small 12V sealed
lead-acid battery, about 6" x 2.5" x 3.5". The back of the
UPS says it can output 10A of current. The battery itself
says "12V, 7AH/20HR".

One thing I never liked about this UPS is the anemic backup
power time, about 5-10 minutes (and now zero).

I guess you know where this is going... am wondering if it
makes sense to buy a standard (sealed) car battery and wire
it up to the UPS? Any EE experts here care to comment?

Thanks,

-- Rod