2004 Mar 01 22:11

Re: [vox-tech] XFree86 4.4.0 non-GPL compatible

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 07:30:03PM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> 1. There are too many X-based programs to simply "switch over" to another
>    GUI platform.

Mark,

  As Bill pointed out, the upset people just have to take the 4.4.0rc2
source base (which was the last one with the old license), and make
a fork... pickup from that point is very simple compared to coming up
with a new graphic infrastructure standard.

Bob,

  I am a little confused about what was in the minds of whoever decided
to do this... it seems like there wasn't much public discussion.  They
also do not seem to be backing off very quickly.

  It seems the X11 client libraries are exempted from this license change,
but it's unclear if this includes everything that could be a problem.

Pete,

  I hope a fork of X would do wonders, like EGCS fork did for gcc...
but with that said the old X11 has made some pretty impressive changes
in the last 3 years.