2004 Mar 01 19:31

Re: [vox-tech] XFree86 4.4.0 non-GPL compatible

On Monday 01 March 2004 06:28, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> the fact of the matter is, nobody was really happy with xfree86 before
> this happened.  they were extremely slow, secretive, and seemingly
> rejected patches in a passive-aggresive way (the cygwin xfree86 issue).
> it's just that they haven't been viewed as "evil" up until now.  many
> forks have been started, and they've all stalled.

I don't understand the big picture.  How can the XFree project get away with
upsetting so many people?  If Red Hat, Debian, Mandrake, SuSe, OpenBSD, etc.
get upset and start looking for alternatives, where does that leave the XFree
project?  Why is it not the case the XFree project needs to depend on making
everyone happy?

Also, it seems like SuSE (Novell) and its friend IBM, and GNOME's friends like
Sun and HP have a whole lot of resources.  Can't they come up with a an
alternative?

Bob