2004 Feb 27 00:35

Re: [vox-tech] Move / from one HD to another

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 08:24:44PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > Anyway, since I have copious amounts of space on my 2nd drive, is it
> > easy to just 'move' the '/' parition over, run LILO to make the newer
> > drive bootable, and then remove the dying drive?  (Obviously setting
> > the 2nd drive as "Master" now, since it's currently "Slave")
> >

> My current plan (thanks to Steve Wormley for some tips) is:
>
>   * single user mode
>
>   * Move "/usr/local" into a subdir on that partition:
>
>     * mount the "/usr/local" parition on HDB as "/mnt"
>     * mkdir /mnt/usr/local
>     * mv /mnt/* /mnt/usr/local/

sounds... self-referential... I think this would lead to a full partition.
You need to copy everything except those things that are already in
/mnt/usr/local... the easiest way to do this might be to just move the top
level and /usr-level directories one at a time.

>     * cp -a --one-filesystem / /mnt/
>
>   * Use the newly built "/" parition on HDB as "/" (chroot)

I don't think this helps a lot... the underlying devices are still in the
wrong places.  I think you will find this more straightforward if you use
a rescue disk to make these changes ... after the hardware has been moved.

I would switch hardware at this point, and boot with, say, knoppix.

>   * Edit /etc/fstab

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdaX /mnt
vi /mnt/etc/fstab