2004 Feb 19 14:08

[vox-tech] Re: [vox] Syncing Palm Pilot

Moving to vox-tech; sorry about the momentary cross-post on vox (didn't see it started there until after I sent my response)

Jonathan Stickel wrote:
I'm no expert, but I've struggled a little myself getting my Handspring to sync. It sure looks like all your kernel modules are loading properly, the important ones being usbserial and visor.

Have you checked to see if a "usb-serial" device "magically" appears in /dev when you push the cradle button? It will be something like /dev/usb/tts/1 or /dev/usbts1. This is what you tell your palm software to use (perhaps through a /dev/pilot symlink).

FWIW: I had a 2.4 kernel where my Handspring would randomly sync only 50% of time, and I could never figure out why. All my kernal modules loaded, the usbserial device appeared, I had OK log messages, but no sync. Since I've compiled a 2.6 kernel, it syncs everytime!

Jonathan

Rob Rogers wrote:

I recently reinstalled Debian (I'm running Sarge) on my desktop.
Normaly, I've compiled a custom kernel with everything built in, but
this time around, I've decided to leave the default kernel there...I'm
trying to learn more about modules and how initrd works and such.

Anyways, with everything built in, my Palm has always just worked. For
some reason now, I can't seem to get it working. I'm pretty positive
I've got all the necessary drivers loaded. Following is what gets logged
when I hit the hotsync button on the Palm cradle, and the output from
lsmod. I should mention this is using USB, and I know usb-uhci is the
proper usb controller...not to mention, my usb mouse works just fine.

minerva:~# tail -4 /var/log/messages
Feb 19 11:47:27 minerva -- MARK --
Feb 19 11:48:02 minerva kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2,
assigned device number 6
Feb 19 11:48:02 minerva kernel: usb.c: USB device 6 (vend/prod
0x830/0x50) is not claimed by any active driver.
Feb 19 11:49:14 minerva kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 6

minerva:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
smbfs 31296 1 (autoclean)
mga 102768 1 agpgart 29792 3 mousedev 3744 1 usbmouse 1760 0 (unused)
visor 10016 0 (unused)
usbserial 17856 0 [visor]
hid 18784 0 (unused)
cmpci 26008 5 soundcore 3204 4 [cmpci]
via-rhine 12420 1 keybdev 1664 0 (unused)
usbkbd 2848 0 (unused)
input 3040 0 [mousedev usbmouse hid keybdev usbkbd]
usb-uhci 20676 0 (unused)
usbcore 48000 1 [usbmouse visor usbserial hid usbkbd usb-uhci]