2004 Feb 18 00:55

[vox-tech] sound, kde, xmms, arts

I've struggled along time with getting multiple applications to play nice together with sound. I use KDE, so generally arts likes to take control of sound. I've detested the awful latency of arts, but I had begun to just accept it because it does mix sound sources well. For example, I can play mp3s with xmms (using arts) and notification sounds from GAIM (using arts) will come through OK (also using arts). However, if I use ALSA (or OSS via ALSA-OSS emulation) for xmms, the sounds from GAIM don't come through until I stop my music.

With my recent upgrade to KDE 3.2 (and arts 1.2), arts is broken in xmms (ver. 1.2.8): xmms locks up when I hit "play" and I have to kill it. I can still use xmms with ALSA and OSS, but only if I completely kill arts. I was not able to find a way to fix xmms+arts.

So I tried other mp3 players, specifically juk and noatun. In addition to the familiar arts latency, I get _skipping_ when playing mp3s. After some research, I set suid for artswrapper and decreased my sound buffer (via KDE's control center). This actually got rid of the latency, but my music still skips! This did not happen when I was able to use xmms with arts.

What can I do to make sound "just work"? Is there anything else I can try with arts?

I read a little about how to open more than 1 pcm channel with ALSA, but it seemed a little complicated. I may yet give it a try. BTW: I get ALSA support through my 2.6 kernel, if that makes a difference.

Jonathan