2004 Feb 15 18:03

Re: [vox-tech] core files

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 05:38:47PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> I've noticed some core files have a number appended to them, like:
>
>    core.2342
>
> The number is most likely a pid, but I'm curious how the core file got
> named this way.  Is there a libc function that sets the name of a
> possible future core file?

I think it's probably a function of the default signal handler for
the SIGABORT signal.  I don't know why it would use "core" sometimes and
"core.<pid>" other times.. maybe if there is already a core file it uses
the second form instead to avoid overwriting an existing core file.

You might also want to look at the setrlimit(2) man page.

  -- Mitch