2004 Feb 13 01:19

Re: [vox-tech] Trouble mounting USB keychain

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 04:53:15AM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> All in all, I'm finding Linux (esp. combined with KDE) to be quite a
> usable desktop, now that I'm thinking from a relative computer-newbie's
> perspective (e.g., my dad).

On that note, another thing that goes a long way toward usability (esp.
from a newbie's perspective) is autofs.

For those not in the know, here's a good description ripped from the
Debian autofs package:
  Autofs controls the operation of the automount daemons. The automount
  daemons automatically mount filesystems when they are used and unmount
  them after a period of inactivity. This is done based on a set of
  pre-configured maps.

I mention this now because not only does it go hand-in-hand with
removable flash drives, but Kyle Rankin over at nblug recently put
together a killer autofs writeup.  It's a good basic walkthrough, and
also covers some more interesting stuff such automounting filesystems
over the lufs[1] VFS layers ftpfs and sshfs.

To save Kyles DSL bandwidth, here's the version of his
writeup approriated by Arstechnica:
<http://www.arstechnica.com/etc/linux/linux.ars-20040211-2.html>

Enjoy!

-troy