2004 Feb 11 13:05

Re: [vox-tech] web access of openoffice documents

On Tue 10 Feb 04,  6:40 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> said:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:58:38PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i'm teaching a few classes and keep my scores/averages in gnumeric
> > spreadsheet (which i can convert to openoffice of course).  i want to
> > have some kind of site where my students can log in using their SSN and
> > perhaps a password and be able to look at how they're doing.
>
> OpenOffice.org 1.1 has PDF export capabilities.  Maybe that'll work...?

i assume that would export a whole page?  probably not a good idea for
class grades.  :-)

> > i'd rather not spend multi-hours doing that, so if there's an easy
> > solution, that's great.  if not, i can live without it.
> >
> > i'd also rather keep my stuff in spreadsheet format, not in a db.
> >
> > is it possible to read and parse openoffice files easily for web pages?
>
> Export as tab-delim'd first? ;)

hmmm... maybe.  i had already considered parsing XML output, but was
hoping to get something higher level.  i guess i have a better shot at
cooking up something to parse tab delimited files in under 60 minutes
than i do XML data (which i've never worked on).  maybe tab delimited
and php wouldn't be a bad idea, although i admit i was hoping for
something a bit higher level.

unfortunately, i don't have time to hack right now.  if anything, i kind
of need to just plug in and use...

pete