2004 Feb 05 22:39

[vox-tech] motherboard of my dreams and hardware price hunting

[vox-tech] motherboard of my dreams and hardware price hunting

based on specs (haven't read reviews yet), this is the motherboard of my
dreams:

Thunder K8W (S2885)

   dual opteron
   dual memory channels (4 PC2700 DDR EEC for each CPU)
   SATA
   AGP 8x/PRO 110W
   USB 1.2 (oh well.  can't have everything)
   integrated stuff i'll never use

the only thing i can't find is which opterons the board supports, so i'm
assuming it'll take me all the way up to opteron 248.

one problem: it's pricey.  pricewatch has the cheapest board at $436 in
CA (the first perk of living in NJ) with free fedex.  at that price,
i'll be running a pair of opteron 140's with 32MB on each CPU.  :)

i've always bought my stuff through pricewatch because other than a few
years ago when memory prices shot sky high, hardware has been so cheap
the past 5 years.  it wasn't worth my time to bargain hunt for 10 or 20
bucks.

have people found better prices than what pricewatch lists?  are there
any favorite price hunting sites that people have been using lately?

thanks,
pete