2004 Feb 03 11:40

Re: USB and serial (was Re: [vox-tech] lbncurses.so.4 issue)

Dave Margolis said:

> somewhere in that belkin software there is a device setting.  the
> default is /dev/ttyS0.
>
> maybe look in dmesg to see if it is registering a usb device?

Here is the line that looks most relevant to me from dmesg:

hiddev0: USB HID v1.00 Joystick [BELKIN UPS] on usb1:2.0

Looks to me like it's showing up as a USB device.

Right now I have the Belkin Bulldog sentry software pointing to
/dev/ttyUSB0; at that setting it doesn't, at least, return an error
saying, "Cannot connect to device".  It says it's connected, but it
doesn't get any information from the UPS... nothing about voltage,
capacity, nothing.

I tried pointing it to /dev/ttyUSB1 and it wouldn't even connect.  Should
I try pointing it at /dev/ttyUSB2?

> my gut feeling is you should be able to get that to work.  if not
> though, how about exchanging it for one of their serial models?  i have
> a belkin ups that i've been really happy with.

It looks like it would be a good product.  Heh.  On the positive side,
once I got the ncurses issue sorted out, upsd seems to be running just
fine.  I just wish I could figure out how to talk to it and get some
information out of it.

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the
desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man.
I wouldn't mess with them."
--Michael Moore