2004 Feb 03 09:57

Re: USB and serial (was Re: [vox-tech] lbncurses.so.4 issue)

Re: USB and serial (was Re: [vox-tech] lbncurses.so.4 issue)

Ken Herron wrote:
--On Tuesday, February 03, 2004 06:23:43 AM -0800 "Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

Assuming the software wants to talk to a serial port, and the device
only has a USB port, is there a way to make them talk to each other?

If the kernel supports this UPS, then when the UPS is plugged into a USB port, the kernel should create some devices for software to interact with it. If the UPS requires a serial-port device then I'd expect the kernel to create a serial port for it.

What does the kernel do when you plug the UPS into a USB port?

You will need USB Serial Converter support compiled into your kernel (probably default for RH8).

#
# USB Serial Converter support
#
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_BELKIN=m

When you plug in your "USB-serial" device, serial device(s) will "magically appear" in your /dev filesystem. For my handspring cradle, it is /dev/usb/tts/0 and /dev/usb/tts/1. Then you need to get software to talk to one of these. Try some googling.

Jonathan