2004 Jan 31 14:00

Re: [vox-tech] Can YAST create a FAT32 Partition?

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 13:28:25PM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> Thanks to those of you who told me I need a new hard drive.
>
> I'd like to create a dual boot system on the new hard disk (which I haven't
> purchased yet).  I'd like to do all of the partitioning from YAST.  According
> to the YAST documentation YAST can delete FAT32 partitions.  YAST can resize
> FAT32 partitions.  But the documentation doesn't say whether YAST can create
> a FAT32 partition.  The documentation assumes that one is partitioning to add
> Linux to a hard drive where Windows already exists.
>
> Does anybody know if YAST can create a FAT32 partition?

I don't use SuSE, so I can't answer the specific YAST question...but
every partition tool I've used has been able to create a FAT32
partition. You also need to be able to format it (which is different
from creating a partition and marking it's type) but that is generally
pretty simple too.

The big gotcha comes when you decide to install Windows. It's generally
best to install Windows before you install Linux on a dual boot system
because Windows will blindly write to your MBR, overwriting Lilo or
Grub. Keep a boot disk handy if that's the way you want to go.