2004 Jan 31 01:47

Re: [vox-tech] SQL selecting distinct from multiple index tables

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Mitch Patenaude wrote:

> select distinct O.OID, O.Name, O.Acronym
>    from Organizations O, OrgDocs D, OrgProjects P
>     where D.OrgID  = O.OID or P.OrgID = O.OID
>
> I think this will result in two full table scans though......

Actually, it will probably result in Count(P.*) passes through P...
very inefficient.

I think you were on the right track originally ... probably dump the
results of both queries to a temporary table and retrieve distinct rows.

>    -- Mitch
>
> On Friday, Jan 30, 2004, at 21:24 US/Pacific, David Siedband wrote:
>
> > I have two index tables the associate Organizations with documents and
> > projects.  I'm trying to write a query that returns all the
> > organizations that are associated with either a project or document.
> >
> > To select distinct organization that are either associated with a
> > Document or a Project, I'm using SQL that looks like this.
> >
> > select distinct Organizations.OID , Organizations.Name ,
> > Organizations.Acronym
> > from OrgDocs , Organizations
> > where OrgDocs.OrgID = Organizations.OID
> >
> > select distinct Organizations.OID , Organizations.Name ,
> > Organizations.Acronym
> > from OrgProjects , Organizations
> > where OrgProjects.OrgID = Organizations.OID
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to combine this into a single query?
> >
> > thx,
> >
> > --
> > David

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing