2004 Jan 29 07:40

Re: [vox-tech] [Semi-OT] Mac modem connector

Re: [vox-tech] [Semi-OT] Mac modem connector

Bill--

the bargain barn usually has a pile of those old cables... you want a
mini-DIN-8 (mac modem connector) -> DB 25 or DB 9  (pc connector) cable.

if you can't find one, let me know - i have a few extras.

dylan

on 04.1.29 4:42 AM, Bill Kendrick at nbs@sonic.net was reported to have
writen:

> My dad has an old Mac Performa 6215cd with an external 56K modem.
> I'm hoping to be able to use that modem with this new Linux box,
> rather than buy a new one, or figure out an internal one.
>
> It's been a while since I touched an older Mac, so I was hoping someone
> here might know the answer to this... :)
>
> It sounds like the connector on the cable isn't a standard PC-style 9-pin
> serial plug, but rather something smaller and rounder.  I'm GUESSING it's
> just a serial port connector, but in a different form factor.
> (Much like you can get a PS2->Serial converter for mice, or
> AT->PS2 keyboard converter.)
>
> Does that sound right?  Does anyone know where I could pick up an adapter
> to connect the Mac-friendly modem to this PC?
>

> Thanks!
>
> -bill!
> bill@newbreedsoftware.com           "Hey Shatner, ya remember that episode of
> http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/   Space Trek where your show got cancelled?"

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein