January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jan 29 13:52

[vox-tech] [Semi-OT] Mac modem connector

[vox-tech] [Semi-OT] Mac modem connector

My dad has an old Mac Performa 6215cd with an external 56K modem.
I'm hoping to be able to use that modem with this new Linux box,
rather than buy a new one, or figure out an internal one.

It's been a while since I touched an older Mac, so I was hoping someone
here might know the answer to this... :)

It sounds like the connector on the cable isn't a standard PC-style 9-pin
serial plug, but rather something smaller and rounder.  I'm GUESSING it's
just a serial port connector, but in a different form factor.
(Much like you can get a PS2->Serial converter for mice, or
AT->PS2 keyboard converter.)

Does that sound right?  Does anyone know where I could pick up an adapter
to connect the Mac-friendly modem to this PC?

Thanks!

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com           "Hey Shatner, ya remember that episode of
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/   Space Trek where your show got cancelled?"