2004 Jan 28 22:09

Re: [vox-tech] Debian networking problem -- where do I start?

On Wed 28 Jan 04,  3:47 PM, Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> said:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 15:37, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > what makes this a bit difficult is the fact that XP may not log as well
> > as a unix OS.
> >
> > doesn't XP come with a firewall now?  why don't you check that first?
>
> It's off.  First thing I checked.  :)
>

> > ok.  so you can't ping XP from debian.
> >
> > can you ping debian from XP?
>
> Yep.
>

> > can you ping XP from anyone else on your local LAN?
>
> Yep.  I can ping it from both of my Red Hat boxes.
>

> > when you type "route" on debian (not "route -n", i mean "route") does it
> >    hang for a long time or do you get results immediately?
>
> I get immediate results:
>
> root@lucien: /etc
> # route
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
> 192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
> default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

hmmm.

here's what i suggest:

1. on debian, ping XP.

2. on some other host on your LAN, run tcpdump and look to see if the
   pings are being broadcast.

this will tell you if the pings are being sent correctly.  if they are,
the problem is that XP is just not listening.

pete