2004 Jan 28 15:42

[vox-tech] Debian networking problem -- where do I start?

[vox-tech] Debian networking problem -- where do I start?

This is related to the Samba problem I reported yesterday.

Pete suggested I look at /usr/share/doc/samba/DIAGNOSIS.txt.  I did so,
and most of what I tried on the server worked just fine, and the Samba
server seems to be working properly; I can execute smbmount on my Red
Hat box and get to the shares just fine.

I tried to get to the Windows computer from the Debian computer with no
luck.  I executed

$ ping 192.168.1.165

which is the WinXP's IP address, but with no luck.  It seems that the
Debian computer can't see the Windows computer; so while I can see the
Debian computer from Windows, I can't see any of the shares on it.

I've done quite a bit of Googling and poking around on the Debian
website, and I've looked at files list /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.allow,
executed commands such as /sbin/route -n and so on, and I confess that I
am a feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Can anyone point me at some on-line beginner's networking resources that
could help me resolve this?

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford