2004 Jan 20 16:30

Re: [vox-tech] sending mail from shell

På tisdag, 20 januari 2004, skrev Michael J Wenk:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:01:25AM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> > What is the program/package which provides the 'mail' command that can
> > be used to send simple emails from shell?  It must be very basic, but my
> > gentoo install is missing it.
> >
> > Jonathan

> You need to emerge mailx
>

> Oddly, I don't even see a sendmail on my system(usually its just a
> symlink to whatever MTA in use)
>
> However mailx should be functionally equiv to the mail command on unix
> systems.

True, with one important difference: mailx supports escapes (special commands
in the stream, entered after a tilde). This is useful for interactive use
(but most folks perfer mutt, Evolution, etc) and downright dangerous when
handling arbitrary streams of input. In such cases you should use sendmail,
perhaps via a wrapper script, or directly like this:

$/usr/sbin/sendmail <recipient@host>
Subject: <your subject here>
<other headers as needed>

<message body>
<control-d>

This is particularly important in web form-to-mail scripts.

--
Henry House
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key: