2004 Jan 21 15:37

Re: [vox-tech] Kiosk

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 05:14:00AM -0800, Hans W. Uhlig wrote:
> Bill, Is Java running on that kiosk in the coffee shop, If support is enabled
> continue, if not, you can ignore the post.

I didn't install any Java VM specifically, but could be.  I'll check. :^)

> write java app and post on website to
> class.exec(/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm)
<snip>

Scary, but, uh... I thought the whole point of Java (at least in a browser)
was to make this IMPOSSIBLE.

Either that, or Sun lied to me back when I first learned about Java,
20 years ago, or whenever it was I was in college.  ;^)

BTW - I'm currently removing all of the "Open With..." options.
One way would be to wipe out the /usr/share/applnk/ hierarchy, as someone
mentioned last night.

However, the KDE stuff on the kiosk is coming from Debian packages, and
therefore wiping out stuff would only last until the next upgrade. :^)
(KDE 3.2 due February!)

So, instead, I'm just making a bunch of *.desktop files in the guest account's
KDE directory, which include "Hidden=true".  Seems to be wiping them out
nicely!