2004 Jan 20 11:23

Re: [vox-tech] sending mail from shell

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:01:25AM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> What is the program/package which provides the 'mail' command that can
> be used to send simple emails from shell?  It must be very basic, but my
> gentoo install is missing it.

I typically use 'sendmail'.

When I sent out LUGOD announcements (which go to more than just vox-announce,
but also to other LUG lists, newspapers, etc.), I run a little shell script
that goes through a list of email addresses (in "lugod.list"), and sends
each address a message which comes from another text file ("lugod.txt").

I invoke "/usr/sbin/sendmail" on my ISP's shell to do it.  Works great!

I think you can also use "mail".  I forget when and why I switched.
I'm really far from an expert in this kinda stuff ;)