2004 Jan 19 10:15

Re: [vox-tech] I'm setting up a DNS server...

Re: [vox-tech] I'm setting up a DNS server...

Quoting Jeff Newmiller (jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us):

> A slightly longer answer is: "root.localhost" in this position designates
> the email address of the technical contact for this SOA, replacing the
> first dot with an "@" sign (which is a reserved character in this
> context).

I think you'll find that William was missing a field.

> dns names that don't end in a period are assumed to have the current zone
> appended to them....

Well, $ORIGIN, actually.  Which, if otherwise undefined is the current
zone.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!