2004 Jan 14 00:46

Re: [vox-tech] can't ssh to suse 9 pro amd64

Re: [vox-tech] can't ssh to suse 9 pro amd64

--On Tuesday, January 13, 2004 07:01:32 PM -0800 Roy Wollman <rwollman@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

I just got appointed to be the sys admin for the new machine
our lab bought. I'm a linux newbie and really need you help!!!

Its a opteron based duel cpu running suse 9.0 pro for amd64.

My problem: I can't log into it using ssh.
I made sure the sshd is running and its configured using all default
parameters
I'm trying to log on from both RH and from winXPpro using ssh tera term
in both cases I just get permission denied even though the password are
correct.
Based on what you've described, it sounds like you're connecting to the remote host; it's just not letting you in. Your next step is to look at the sshd configuration file on the target host; this is probably /etc/ssh/sshd_config. Some possible reasons are:

* You're trying to log in as root, and sshd is set to deny or restrict root logins.

* Your password is empty and sshd isn't set to allow this.

* You're trying to log in using a user that's denied or not allowed.

* You're trying to log in from a host that's denied or not allowed.

* StrictModes is turned on, and the home directory of the user you're logging in as doesn't meet the requirements.

* VerifyReverseMapping is turned on, and DNS for the host(s) you're logging in from doesn't meet the requirements.

If you're still stumped, you could try running ssh and sshd in debug mode to get some more detail about what's going on. For sshd, you'd log in to the target host as root, kill the normal sshd process, and run a copy by hand (from a tty session) using the "-d" option. sshd will then process a single ssh session while printing debugging info to the tty.

--
Ken Herron