2004 Jan 13 13:47

Re: [vox-tech] Mail Header Weirdness (Mutt/Exim)

På tisdag, 13 januari 2004, skrev Edwin P. Groot:
>      I just got sending email to work on my Debian 3 machine!  I am
> checking what's on my university mail server by POP3 using mutt, and I
> compose mail in mutt, sending it via SMTP and exim to my university mail
> server.
>      When I check my mail, the From: header is what I want - my regular
> university email account, but the Sender: and ReturnPath: headers are
> edwin@orchid.biologie.uni-mainz.de, which is the login and computer name
> of my Debian machine.
>       Should I worry about the last two headers not having the same
> address as the first header?

No, this is normal. At some point in the future, spam filters may check
whether the sender of the message is a legitimate mail exchanger for the
domain listed in the From: header, but this is not done yet because there is
no standard framework for properly authenticating an association between a
mail exchanger and a domain.

--
Henry House
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key: