2004 Jan 12 18:39

Re: [vox-tech] Providing access to SSH on Kiosk?

Re: [vox-tech] Providing access to SSH on Kiosk?

--On Monday, January 12, 2004 16:58:43 -0800 Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

Is there anyhting 'bad' people can do from the menus in Xterm?
(e.g., Ctrl+click, +middle-click and +right-click)?
The worst I could find offhand is that the user might be able to try to print things and/or create logfiles on the local computer.

Mandrake's xterm has a couple of menu options labelled "print window" and "printer-redirect". Checking the man page, there are a few X resources related to printing things. The discussion of the "printerCommand" resource describes a way to disable it. You should run xterm as follows:

xterm -xrm '*printerCommand:'

The solaris xterm (and older xterms I've seen) lets you log the session to a file. The feature seems to be missing in mandrake, but your system might have it. You can disable this by giving it an invalid logfile name:

xterm -lf /dev/null

Alternately, you might look at other terminal programs. rxvt looks promising; it's simpler overall and it doesn't have a logging capability, though it does have the ability to submit print jobs.

--
"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons

Kenneth Herron Kherron@newsguy.com 916-366-7338