2004 Jan 11 19:10

Re: [vox-tech] rusty newbie CD mounting woes

Re: [vox-tech] rusty newbie CD mounting woes

I agree that the problem might be that this drive is writing device. For writing, ide-scsi must be specified for it (although I hear the new cdrecord gets around this). You may do this a couple ways; you should check your distribution for its recommended method. I like to implement this in grub with "hdc=ide-scsi" (assuming your cdrom is hdc: 2nd ide cable, first device).

If ide-scsi is not enabled, the device interface will be something like /dev/hdc, and you can use it to read cds. Once you enable ide-scsi, the device will become something like /dev/scd0, depending on your distribution. In either case, there may be a symbolic link to /dev/cdrom or such. If there isn't a symbolic link, you can make one.

Jonathan

Bryan Richter wrote:
Particularly, "dmesg | grep hd" will mainly print out lines that deal
with your IDE devices. ide-scsi is required for cd writing, but the normal ide module should work for reading. However, maybe ide-scsi is
already running on your system? Look for /dev/cdrw or /dev/scd0 (my cd writer is /dev/scd0), or maybe look in the config file /dev/fstab to see if your distro is a couple steps ahead of you and already has a
directory and mount options set up for your device.

-Bryan