2004 Jan 05 15:35

Re: [vox-tech] email notification tool

thanks for the pointers.

i tried out mailcheck, and it is a nice little program.. however i found
that i could accomplish just about the same with the following script:

(please excuse my poor bash skills...)

#!/bin/bash

while [ 1 -le 10 ]
do

    #setup the variables
    old_mail_status=$mail_status

    #mail_status="`mailcheck`"

    mail_status="`ls /home/dylan/Maildir/new/`"

    if [ "$mail_status" = "" ];
    then
        echo "0    [nothing]"

    else

        if [ "$old_mail_status" = "$mail_status" ];
        then
            echo "1       [there is mail]"
        else
            echo "2       [new mail!]"
        fi

    fi

    sleep 30
done

on 04.1.5 2:36 PM, ME at dugan@passwall.com was reported to have writen:

> Hmm.. looking through my debian packages, I find this:
> ----> ixbiff <----
> notify user when mail arrives by blinking keyboard leds
>
> Details:
> Ixbiff blinks the keyboard LEDs when new mail arrives. The keyboard LEDs
> used depend upon the daemon's configuration.
>
> For obvious reasons only three mailboxes can be checked.
>
> Currently, ixbiff is Linux specific and requires root access.
>
> Ixbiff supports the standard UNIX mbox format as well as qmail's Maildir
> format.
> -------------------
>
> But maybe building your own is desired? How about:
>
> (I am nearly certain this will work...) You could use procmail and add a
> line much like you would for calling spamc or spamassassin in piping the
> message through your script.
>
> Of course, the difference is that the script would actually be a kind of
> wrapper. Example:
>
> file /tmp/this.sh:
> ----BEGIN----
> #!/bin/bash
> #
>
> cat
>
> /path/to/led/script/to/run > /dev/null 2>&1
> ----END----
>
> In such a case, the data piped in gets piped out, and a script also gets
> called.
>
> Of course, if you are looking for something less-hackish to add onto,
> check out some of these:
> clockmail_applet/MailCheck Applet that works from X and can be docked.
> (from miguel@kernel.org, jberkman@andrew.cmu.edu,
> jaka.mocnik@kiss-uni-li.si, poettering@gmx.net)
>
> And:
> mailcheck (may permit running applications and work from a shell without X)
> (from jeff@debian.org)
>
> HTH
> -ME

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein