[vox-tech] ps to eps (for the record)

keywords: ps to eps, ps2eps, ps2epsi, convert

I've had an awful time trying to convert a complicated 1 page ps figure to eps. Both Image Magick's "convert" and ghostscript's "gs:epswrite" produce a matrix graphic (not scalable), even if the original ps file contains vector graphic information (scalable). BTW, ps2epsi appears to be broken and/or useless.

I found another program called ps2eps (http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/ps2eps/) which I thought for sure would do the job. It didn't quite work either, although it will probably work with simpler ps files.

There are short guides on the web about how to manually edit a ps file to make it an eps. This is an onerous task, and I was unsuccessful.

What I finally found to work was the drawing program Xfig. Import the the ps file as a picture object into Xfig, using the original size. Save the Xfig "drawing". Export as eps. Delete the fig file. It worked!

There may be other methods, but I couldn't find them. Maybe this will be helpful to someone else, especially other Latex users.

Jonathan